Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

What a wonderful Christmas!!  We had a very relaxing day and then enjoyed a lovely turkey dinner with our family.  We are so fortunate to be able to be together this time of year!

This week's CAS challenge (CAS150) at Splitcoaststampers is a Technique - Windows.  There are many interpretations for this technique so I have made two different types of windows cards ... hope you like.
The first card has a window cut from the front panel of the card, revealing the paper-pieced tree on the inside of the card.  It's a little hard to tell in the photo that there is a window cut-out ... but there is!  This is made with SU! products plus the Nestabilities Labels two die-cut.

"Happy Birthday Tree"



Stamps:  Easy Events; Bitty Birthday (SU!)
Paper:  Old Olive, Whisper White (SU!)
Ink:  Early Espresso, Real Red, Old Olive (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Nestabilities Labels Two die-cut, Big Shot, Stamp-a-ma-jig, 1/4" Old Olive grosgrain ribbon, pencil, eraser, sticky strips and Tombow glue

* * * * *

I positioned the Whisper White card front on top of the Old Olive card base, added the Labels Two die-cut in the bottom right-hand corner and ran it through my Big Shot.

With the card base only, I closed the card and traced the cut-out onto the inside using a pencil.  This is to mark where the cut-out shows through to the inside of the card so I can line-up my tree stamp in the middle.  I stamped my tree onto the inside, centering it in the penciled area using my Stamp-a-ma-jig for placement.  I stamped the tree again onto a scrap piece of Whisper White cardstock, added the dots of green, colored in the heart and then cut it out.  I glued the tree top on top of my stamped image.  When everything was dry, I erased the pencil marks.

Using the Stamp-a-ma-jig again for placement, I stamped the sentiment onto the Whisper White card front, centering it under the cut-out.  I wrapped the Old Olive ribbon around the top of the card front and tied a knot, just off center.  I used sticky strips to attach the card front to the card base.

____________________

The second card is literally a window ... I made a window using square punches that looks out onto a snowy, winter scene.  This is made with all SU! products.

"Scenic Winter"



Stamps:  Scenic Season; Just Believe (SU!)
Paper:  Old Olive, Whisper White (SU!)
Ink:  Old Olive, Always Artichoke, Baja Breeze (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Stamp-a-ma-jig, post-it notes for masking, sponge dauber, 1 1/4" square punch, pencil, eraser, adhesives, and dimensionals

I placed a post-it note mask to mask the snow on a piece of Whisper White cardstock.  I inked the trees with Old Olive and then used the Always Artichoke Stampin' Write marker to add extra color randomly on top of the Old Olive ink.  I stamped onto the masked cardstock.  I sponged Baja Breeze ink long the top of the snow line and then moved the mask down lower and angled it differently and sponged along the top, creating banks of snow.  I sponged more Baja Breeze ink in the sky over top of the trees.

On a Whisper White card front I created a window by using a 1 1/4" square punch to punch out four squares to represent window panes.  Check out this tutorial on how I made the window.

Using the Stamp-a-ma-jig for placement, I stamped the sentiment in Old Olive ink, centered just below the window panes.

I mounted the snow scene onto a card base of Old Olive cardstock.  I mounted the window-pane card front on top of the snow scene, popping it up with dimensionals.



No comments: