Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thank You Tulips

No snow last night (weatherman was wrong, again) ... but we definitely have "snow sky" ... you know what I mean, the sky is solid gray and it looks like it could snow at any minute.  The weatherman is predicting a huge snowfall sometime tonight / tomorrow morning.  We'll see if they are right this time.  For now, there is still snow on the ground and it's quite cold, so it will be sticking around.  I'd rather stay home when the weather is like this and not chance being out on the icy roads.  That means more time in the art studio and you've probably noticed that I have been making a LOT of cards.

Late yesterday I worked on a Thank You card for the SCS January Fan Club Challenge ... this month's theme is "Mind Your Manners" ... make Thank You cards.  I had fun making the card and tried to get away from my CAS focus this time.  I used Stampin' Write markers to color in the bunch of tulips (stamp from Rubber-Art Stamps), and used yellow gingham, some twine and a button to make a "country-themed" card.  Hope you like.

"Thank You Tulips"



Stamps: Tulips (Rubber-Art Stamps); Silhouette Sentiments (SU!)
Paper:  Daffodil Delight, Tangerine Tango, Whisper White (SU!); yellow gingham (unknown)
Ink:  Early Espresso; Stampin' Write markers: Pumpkin Pie, Tangerine Tango, Old Olive, Always Artichoke (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Clear embossing powder, heat tool, Spellbinders Ovals, Big Shot, sponge, scalloped edge punch, Mandarin twine (the Twinery), wooden button, sticky strips and adhesives

* * * * *

I stamped the tulip image in Early Espresso ink onto Whisper White cardstock and heat embossed in clear.  I used my Stampin' Write markers to color in the image and then lightly sponged Daffodil Delight in the background (in hindsight, I could have sponged first).

I layered the front of the Daffodil Delight card base with yellow gingham DP and ran it through my Big Shot, using the largest oval die-cut.  I ran another large piece of Daffodil Delight through the Big Shot with the second largest oval die-cut and that became the frame for in front of my tulips.

I mounted all the pieces as shown in the picture above, adding twine and a button around the bottom border pieces.

I struggled with the sentiment ... I didn't want it to take focus away from the tulips, so in the end I stamped a very small "Thank You" in Tangerine Tango ink right onto the yellow gingham DP.

No comments: