Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Vintage Poppies


Today I managed to get out to Coquitlam and visit a wonderful scrapbooking / card-making shop called Cherish The Thought.  I spoke to the owner for a little while today and she is so much fun!!  She makes the most beautiful cards and is currently working on a written and video tutorial for SCS on her fabulous technique - Glitter Painting.  The tutorial will hopefully be up on the SCS website next week - watch for it!! 
While I was at Cherish The Thought, I bought one of the new combined sets from Sizzix / Hero Arts which is a stamp with matching embossing folder.  Can't wait to try it out ... but I had already started two cards before leaving the art studio to do some shopping, so I finished those up and will start experimenting with my new toys tomorrow. :)

For the first card today, I went to one of my favorite styles - vintage.  I'm actually not sure if this would be considered vintage as it doesn't have a lot of embellishments like some of the beautiful vintage cards you see ... it is more of a distressed / aged look.  This card is made with all Stampin' Up! products.  Hope you like.

"Vintage Poppies"


Stamps:  Fabulous Florets, En Francais (SU!)
Paper:  Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Whisper White (SU!)
Ink:  Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Always Artichoke, Tangerine Tango, Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  sponges, four mini copper brads, sticky strips, adhesives and dimensionals

* * * * *

I stamped En Francais in Soft Suede ink onto Crumb Cake cardstock.  I ripped the edges and then randomly sponged Soft Suede ink over the words and all along each ripped edge.

I ripped the edge of a larger piece of Soft Suede cardstock and also sponged all along the edges with Soft Suede ink.  I mounted the stamped piece onto the larger frame of Soft Suede and then added a mini copper brad in each corner.

I inked the leaf with Always Artichoke and stamped overtop of the words.  I cleaned the stamp and then inked just the top two branches and stamped them above the first leaf sprig to make the sprig longer and able to hold more flowers.

I stamped the main flower and two of the smaller flowers in Early Espresso ink onto Whisper White cardstock.  I sponged the flowers first with Tangerine Tango and then Pumpkin Pie (to lighten).  I took a small eye-makeup applicator sponge and sponged the centers of the flowers with Cajun Craze ink.  I cut the flowers out.  I then sponged along all the edges of the petals of the flowers with Cajun Craze.  I found the Early Espresso centers of the flowers had dulled with the sponging on top, so I went back with my Early Espresso Stampin' Write marker and went over lines to make them darker.

I used my bone folder to curl the edges of the flowers to give them more depth.  I then mounted the flowers onto the main panel, popping them up with dimensionals.

I stamped the sentiment in Soft Suede ink onto Crumb Cake cardstock, sponged the edges and then mounted it on a frame of Soft Suede cardstock.  I attached the sentiment to the card, curving the middle to give it some interest.

I mounted the main panel onto a card base of Soft Suede cardstock.

____________________ 

The second card is for Christmas.  This time I used the Season of Joy stamp set from Stampin' Up!  This card is made with all SU! products, plus a little red glitter glue that I purchased at Michael's.  Hope you like.

"Poinsettia Flourish"


Stamps:  Season of Joy (SU!)
Paper:  Old Olive, Whisper White (SU!)
Ink:  Real Red, Old Olive (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Stamp-a-ma-jig, red glitter glue, small paint brush, adhesives and dimensionals

* * * * *

I stamped two Poinsettias in Real Red ink onto Whisper White cardstock.  I used a small paint brush and "painted" glitter glue onto the centers of all the petals (it's hard to tell in the photo, but the glitter on the petals really adds a lot of bling!).  Once the glitter glue was dry, I cut the flowers out.

I stamped the flourish in Old Olive ink five times, in the lower left corner of a large piece of Whisper White cardstock.  I randomly added a few small flowers in Real Red ink and the Merry Christmas sentiment.  I mounted the large poinsettias over the middle of the flourish, using dimensionals to add depth.  I mounted the panel onto a card base of Old Olive.


No comments: