Saturday, October 15, 2011

Autumn Maple Tree


Busy day ... out and about this morning picking up the final groceries for tomorrow's High Tea with my friends, baking, baking and more baking ... and a little housework - whew!  Still, I somehow managed to find time to play in my art studio :)

Here's my card for this week's sketch challenge (I'm a couple of days behind).  I had done the tree a few weeks back for another card (using Watercolor Spritz Technique) ... but it just didn't work with what I was making.  I never throw anything out ... I stashed it away and it just jumped out at me today so I used it.  Everything on this card is SU!  Hope you like.

SCS Sketch Challenge 354:














"Autumn Maple Tree"


Stamps:  Lovely as a Tree (SU!)
Paper:  Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Autumn Traditions DP (retired), watercolor paper (SU!)
Ink:  Old Olive, Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  water mister, sponges, Aqua Painter (or substitute small paint brush and water), Big Shot, Sizzix "Square Lattice" embossing folder, adhesives and dimensionals

* * * * *

I inked the oak tree stamp using Stampin' Write markers:  Early Espresso for the trunk and branches; random patches of Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie and Cajun Craze for the leaves.  I lightly misted the stamp with water and stamped onto watercolor paper. (I find if you hold it on the paper for about 20-30 seconds, the ink and water absorb into the paper better.)  Once it was dry, I colored in the tree trunk with Crumb Cake and also sponged Old Olive for grass below the tree.  I took my Aqua Painter (but a small paint brush and water will work just as well) and added water to the "grass" to blend it into the watercolor paper.  I let everything dry before continuing.

I cut the acorn paper (from the Autumn Traditions DP) to size and added a frame of Early Espresso cardstock  I cut a piece of Soft Suede and ran it through my Big Shot with the embossing folder.  I cut it to size and added a frame of Early Espresso cardstock.  I also added a frame of Early Espresso cardstock to my main image.

I mounted all the pieces as shown in the picture above, popping up the main image with dimensionals to add depth.


1 comment:

sandy said...

Fabulous..thanks for sharing the details for us all to learn.