Saturday, August 13, 2011

Framed Poppies

Another beautiful day ... but the weatherman is predicting a 40% chance of showers tomorrow so I did my duty and painted my front stairs today - done!!  Hopefully this is the last time.  Hubby and I decided it was time to replace them and we've been looking into different materials.  Looks like we'll replace them next spring with treads that are a man-made material that looks like wood but doesn't require painting - SOLD!!!  The less painting to do, the better!!

Looks like I'm off the hook (no pun intended!) for cooking dinner tonight too as my SIL just dropped off a fresh sockeye salmon.  Gord will be heating up the grill and Cedar Plank Teriyaki Salmon is on the menu - yum, yum!!  Now I get a delicious dinner made for me AND more time to spend in the studio this afternoon --- win, win!

I mentioned a few days ago how I had found a great website that offers free digital images.  The artist, Beccy Muir, has generously offered her images and I downloaded her beautiful poppies a few days ago.  Today I've had time to use them ... and I ended up putting them in a frame (well, actually on top of the frame), so I'm going to post this at SCS for yesterday's challenge "Frame It Up".  I really love the distressed look, so here's another card that has a vintage feel to it.  I added scoring on both the background paper and the card base although it might be hard to see in the photo below.  Hope you like.
                  
"Framed Poppies"
 
 

Stamps:  Poppies (digital - Beccy Muir from Beccy's Place); En Francais (SU!)
Paper:  Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Whisper White (SU!)
Ink:  Soft Suede, Old Olive, Tangerine Tango, Cajun Craze; Stampin' Write Markers: Old Olive, Cajun Craze
Accessories & Tools:  Scor-Pal, sponges, Nestabilities Classic Ovals, sticky strips and dimensionals
 
* * * * *

I printed off the poppies image onto Whisper White Cardstock.  I used sponges to sponge the poppies first with Tangerine Tango ink and then again in the center and outer edges with Cajun Craze ink.  I used the Cajun Craze Stampin' Write marker to add more color to the poppy center.

I sponged Old Olive ink on to the leaves and pod, adding it darker near the edges.  I used the Old Olive Stampin' Write marker to ink the stems.  I cut the image out.

I stamped Crumb Cake cardstock in Soft Suede ink with the En Francais stamp and then put it through my Big Shot with the largest oval from the Nestabilities set.  I ran a piece of Soft Suede cardstock through the Big Shot with the largest and third largest ovals to create the frame.  I inked the edges of the frame with Soft Suede ink to give it a aged look.  I lightly sponged Soft Suede ink randomly over the Crumb Cake oval to also age the piece.

I took the background piece of Crumb Cake and used the Scor-Pal to add vertical lines every 1/4".  I sponged the lines with Soft Suede ink to give them more definition and also sponged around the outside edges of the piece to give it an aged look.

I used the Scor-Pal to add horizontal line to the top of the front card base and also vertical lines to the bottom of the front card base.  I sponged Soft Suede ink overtop to highlight the scoring and around the outside edge to give it a distressed look.

I mounted all the pieces as shown in the picture above, popping up the oval frame with dimensionals and also adding dimensionals to the poppies so that they are "double" popped.

No comments: