Friday, March 25, 2011

Palm Island


Took the day off yesterday to prepare for a dinner party.  My oldest son and his girlfriend came over to celebrate her birthday.  They brought my "grand-doggie" Penny to visit as well - she's sooooo adorable!!  Had a great time and a delicious dinner (Bacon & Boursin Cheese Stuffed Chicken, Wild Rice, Mixed Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette ... and for dessert (my favorite part!), Flourless Chocolate Cake with Raspberry sauce - yum, yum, yum!

On to the card for today ...  on Wednesday I got my latest order from Stampscapes - they have AMAZING stamps.  Couldn't wait to try out one of the new stamps ... and also used my "clouds" stamp that I've had for a while, but hadn't figured out how to use.  I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out!  Hope you like.
 
"Palm Island"
 
 
Stamps:  Palm Island, Water Pattern, Cloud Strip Small (Stampscapes)
Paper:  Tempting Turquoise, Always Artichoke, Whisper White (SU!)
Ink:  Baja Breeze, Tempting Turquoise, Soft Suede, Old Olive, Whisper White; Stampin' Write Markers:  Always Artichoke, Soft Suede, Early Espresso (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Brayer, Post-it notes for masking, sponges, 1/4" turquoise grosgrain ribbon, sticky strips and adhesives.

* * * * *

I used Whisper White cardstock for the brayering today, instead of my usual glossy white cardstock.  I find the ink blends better on the glossy paper, but I do like the matte finish with the Whisper White for a change.

I inked the Palm Island stamp with the Stampin' Write markers and stamped about 3/4" from the bottom on the Whisper White cardstock.  I used post-it notes to mask the "island" and sky above and then brayered the water - first Baja Breeze, then Tempting Turquoise inks.  I inked the Water Pattern stamp with Baja Breeze ink and stamped the water (about 3 or 4 times).  I removed the mask and repositioned it, now covering the water.

I turned my cardstock around and brayered the sky - first Baja Breeze, then Tempting Turquoise inks.  I inked my Cloud Strip Small stamp with Craft Whisper White ink and stamped it twice randomly in the sky.  I took a small eye makeup sponge and sponged around the edges of the clouds.  This softened the look of the clouds and made them very subtle.

I sponged Soft Suede ink onto the sand area of the island.  I also sponged Old Olive on the bushes at the bottom of the palm trees and bit in the palm branches as well.

I removed the mask and used my Soft Suede Stampin' Writer to add a line between the sand and water.
I mounted the cardstock as shown in the picture above, adding a knotted ribbon on the side.

No comments: