Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lakeside Cabin


Today I'm in the studio working with Heather.  She is very artistic and likes to experiment with different techniques and different ways of doing techniques and is interested today in learning how to use her Speedball brayer to do backgrounds.  We made a few mistakes, but in the end, we had fun, learned lots and had several beautiful cards ready to give away.  Heather also wanted a chance to use my stamps from Stampscapes.  They are incredible, and it gave us a chance to use our artistic skills in a different way.  I'll share with you how I did card below.

By the way, this is one of my "mistakes".  Originally the stamped image was sized to fill the whole front of the card, just leaving a small border of black, but I had a slip of the hand with the final step in my card (I was adding birds to the sky) and so I just cut off the mistake and made a card with what was left.  No one has to know .... :)  Hope you like.

"Lakeside Cabin"
 
 
Stamps:  Lakeside Cabin, Pine Tree, Rowboat, Water (Stampscapes)
Paper:  Glossy White, Basic Black, Baja Breeze (Stampin' Up!)
Ink:  Basic Black, Kiwi Kiss, Old Olive, Always Artichoke, Sahara Sand, Soft Suede, Chocolate Chip, So Saffron, Baja Breeze, Marina Mist (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories & Tools:  3 Pewter Brads, Stamp-a-ma-jig, make-up sponges, adhesives & dimensionals

* * * * *

I stamped Lakeside Cabin onto the Glossy White paper in Basic Black ink and heat set.  I then used make-up sponges (wedges as well as eye shadow wands from the $1 Store) to add the different colors of ink to the image.  I made sure to ink the reflections in the water before adding the Baja Breeze and Marina Mist for the water - adding the blue on top of the other colors make them more muted.  I also made sure to leave some white space in the water to represent a light source (very important!).

I then stamped the Rowboat and Pine Tree and added more color to the newly stamped images.  I stamped the Water in Marina Mist.  Finally, I added clouds to the sky by masking with paper towel and sponging around the ripped edges.  I got a little carried away adding blue to the sky and so it looks like a typical Westcoast rainy day ...

I mounted the stamped image onto a frame of Basic Black cardstock.  I measured where the stamped image would be placed on the larger piece of Basic Black cardstock, leaving a margin on the left-hand side.  Once I knew the placement, I added three brads down the middle of the margin.  The image was popped up using dimensionals (hard to see in the picture).  The front panel of the card was then adhered to the card base of Baja Breeze.

No comments: